1 We praise You, God, we praise You, for Your Name is near;
people tell of Your wonderful deeds.
2 You say, “I choose the appointed time; it is I who judge with equity.
3 When the earth and all its people quake, it is I who hold its pillars firm.
4 To the arrogant I say, ‘Boast no more,’ and to the wicked, ‘Do not lift up your horns.
5 Do not lift your horns against Heaven; do not speak so defiantly.’ ”
6 No one from the east or the west or from the desert can exalt themselves.
7 It is God who judges: He brings one down, He exalts another.
~ Psalm 75
Psalm 75 is a song that every leader, indeed every person, should keep in mind. God is sovereign.
He chooses the appointed time. He raises up and brings down leaders. He warns us not to exult ourselves. We live in a culture where many speak against, and mock God. For believers that can be so discouraging. But lift up your eyes to the bigger picture. God will not be mocked.
“A Christian man is a happy man in his life, but happier in his death,
because then he goes to be with Christ; but happiest of all in Heaven,
because then he is with Christ. How contrary to a carnal man,
that lives according to the sway of his own base lusts!
He is miserable in his life, more miserable in his death,
but most miserable of all after death. I beseech you, lay this to heart!”
Petition: Please join with us in praying for:
1. The World – The world has now passed 50 million cases. The number of confirmed cases is 50,313,194 (up 3,910,856 from last week). There have been 1,255,185 deaths of people with Covid-19 (up 56,023). Europe, North and South America and India remain the main centres. Closer to Australia, Indonesia is now nearing 500,000 cases and 15,000 deaths.
2. Australia – now has had 27,658 cases (up 67 compared with 75 in the previous week), with 907 deaths (+0 compared with 2 the previous week).
|State||Total Cases||Weekly Change TW/LW||Total Deaths||Change in Deaths TW/LW|
|NSW||4,462||+ 37 (87)||53||0|
|TAS||230||+ 0 (0)||13||0|
There are 19 people in hospital (+2), with 1 in intensive care (+0).
9,097,814 have been carried out with 0.3% being positive.
25,283 people have recovered. There are 90 (-84) active cases.
The news in Australia is great. NSW has had no community cases for two days, Victoria nine days. Australia as a whole has had several days with no community transmission.
3. Vaccine and Cures – Australia has started making 30 million doses of a vaccine which will be rolled out in March if it is approved by regulators. The vaccine developed by British company AstraZeneca and Oxford University is being produced at a factory in Melbourne by biotechnology company CSL.
The jab is seen as the leading candidate across the globe and is in final-stage trials in the UK, US and other countries.
4. Church – The Church in the US and to a lesser extent throughout the world is coming to terms with the news that Joe Biden is almost President Elect of the US (depending on the electoral vote in January). Despite dissatisfaction with President Trump, the majority of Christians voted for Trump, largely because of concerns about abortion and the ‘progressive’ politics of the Democratic party.
Joe Biden cited his Catholic faith and quoted a hymn in his acceptance speech. Pray that he would be a moderating influence.
5. Personal and Family – Mental health issues continue to cause great concern, as the experience of the pandemic and the attempts to control it have had adverse effects on the mental health of many people. Pray for calm, peace of mind, healing and adequate provision of mental health services.
A Prayer of Repentance:
O Lord, how often have we sat with the mockers,
or kept silent when people blaspheme Your holy name?
Forgive us for our silence and cowardliness.
Enable us in the future to graciously speak the truth with love.
For the sake of Your name, Amen.
A Prayer of Thanksgiving:
9 As for me, I will declare this forever;
I will sing praise to the God of Jacob,
10 who says, “I will cut off the horns of all the wicked,
but the horns of the righteous will be lifted up.”
~ Psalm 75:9-10