To the Lord:
But You have rejected, You have spurned,
You have been very angry with Your anointed one.
You have renounced the covenant with Your servant
and have defiled his crown in the dust.
~ Psalm 89:38-39
This is a lengthy Psalm which wrestles with a common problem.
We are told to ‘plead the promises’ — but what if that fails? What can we do then?
David sings the promises — whilst at the same time questioning why they have not yet been fulfilled.
The real reason that we do not see is that God’s timescale is not ours — and we do not know or understand the complexities of the situation.
We need to wait upon the Lord… not one of His promises has, or will, fail.
“You cannot make men good by law; and without good men you cannot have a good society.”
~ CS Lewis, Mere Christianity
Petition: Please join with us in praying for:
1. The World — The number of confirmed cases is 108,782,607 (up 2,740,529 from last week — a 10% decrease). The number of deaths of people with Covid-19 is 2,398,866 (up 84,264 — a slight decrease).
There has been a significant drop in the number of daily cases in the UK, US, India and Germany.
2. Australia — There have been 28,898 cases in total (up 48 compared with 49 the week before, with 14 being community transmission — 2 last week). All of the community transmissions are in Victoria.
|State||Total Cases||Weekly Change TW/LW||Total Deaths||Change in Deaths TW/LW|
|NSW||5,138||+ 18 (16)||54||0|
|TAS||234||+ 0 (0)||13||0|
There are 14 people in hospital (+3), with 0 in intensive care (+0).
377,018 tests have been carried out in the past week, with 0.2% positive. There are 41 active cases (-11).
3. Vaccine and Cures — A report from the UK:
“The number of Covid-19 deaths in over-85s is falling twice as fast it is in younger Brits, raising hopes that the UK’s vaccine drive is clicking into gear, with just one per cent of the population refusing jabs. The Government’s target of administering 15 million doses is set to be hit this weekend, amid a backdrop of falling cases and deaths, with pressure growing on Boris Johnson to present his ‘roadmap’ out of lockdown.”
4. Church — The Evangelical church has been hit by yet another major scandal, with the report into Ravi Zacharias being released this week. Pray for all those impacted — not least the victims, his family and the staff of RZIM.
5. Personal and Family — Many families have the joy and pressure of looking after disabled children. Pray that they would receive adequate support and resources. May the children grow up in loving and compassionate homes — where they are equally valued and accepted.
A Prayer of Repentance:
How long, LORD? Will You hide Yourself forever?
How long will Your wrath burn like fire?
Remember how fleeting is my life.
For what futility You have created all humanity!
Who can live and not see death,
or who can escape the power of the grave?
Lord, where is Your former great love,
which in Your faithfulness You swore to David?
~ Psalm 89:46-49
Lord, we confess our frailty — help us to rely on Your strength. Amen.
Song: Whilst the world talks about ‘diversity’, the Church practices it.
Have a look at this wonderful video from the Brooklyn Tabernacle choir singing Psalm 34:
A Prayer of Thanksgiving:
I will sing of the LORD’s great love forever;
with my mouth I will make Your faithfulness known through all generations.
I will declare that Your love stands firm forever,
that You have established Your faithfulness in Heaven itself.
~ Psalm 89:1-2