Prayers from Philippians
… for I know that through your prayers
and God’s provision of the Spirit of Jesus Christ
what has happened to me will turn out for my deliverance.
20 I eagerly expect and hope that I will in no way be ashamed,
but will have sufficient courage so that now as always
Christ will be exalted in my body, whether by life or by death.
21 For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain.
~ Phil. 1:19-21
Again Paul reminds us that prayer is effective and works out for deliverance. But there is a bigger picture. An eternal picture. Covid-19 has brought the reality of death to many minds. The Christian knows that death has been defeated and so our prayer is not to be delivered from death, but that Christ would be exalted in our bodies whether by life or death. We have the ultimate win/win situation in life – to live is Christ and to die is to gain Christ. So we pray with confidence.
Petition: Please join with us in praying for:
- Peru –The number of confirmed cases is 12,491, with 274 deaths of those with Covid-19.
Peru has only 500 ICU beds for a population of 30 million. Their lockdown means that no-one is allowed out without masks, and men and women are only allowed out on alternate days.
- Victoria – now has 1,301 cases (up from 1,265 a week ago) with 14 deaths (up 0). Australia has a whole has gone up to 6,468 (up 21 in a day). There have been 63 deaths. 3,747 people have recovered (up 61).
- Newspaper journalists and editors – who have the responsibility of reporting on this crisis. Regional newspapers are under particular financial stress.
- Pregnant women who will have particular concerns and fears at this time. Pray for safety and health as new life is brought into the world.
- Christians who are fearful – that we may have confidence in Christ so that we can live joyfully for Him today with the attitude that to live is Christ and to die is gain.
A Prayer of Repentance:
Eternal Father, Your loving Spirit strives within me,
brings me Scripture warnings, speaks in startling providences,
allures by secret whispers, yet I choose devices and desires to my own hurt,
impiously resent, grieve and provoke You to abandon me.
All these sins I mourn, lament, and for them cry pardon.
Work in me more profound and abiding repentance;
Give me a fullness of a godly grief that trembles and fears,
yet ever trusts and loves, where is ever powerful, and ever confident;
Grant that through the tears of repentance,
I may see more clearly the brightness and glories of the saving cross. Amen.
(The Valley of Vision)
A Prayer of Thanksgiving:
Our Father, we thank You for Your protecting and guiding hand.
We bless You that however frail our bodies and society,
You have given us the surety of Heaven and the reality of eternal life.
Enable us to live lives of confidence and service. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.