Do everything without grumbling or arguing, 15
so that you may become blameless and pure,
“children of God without fault in a warped and crooked generation.”
Then you will shine among them like stars in the sky 16
as you hold firmly to the Word of Life.
~ Phil. 2:14-16
These are words for all Christians and all times – but perhaps have a special application for us today.
In the world of social media, grumbling and arguing seems the norm –but it should not be for us.
That does not mean we do not stand for the truth – indeed Paul says we are to ‘shine like stars in the sky as we hold firmly to the Word of Life’. Standing for truth is vital… but so is how we stand for truth. Let us pray that we would be gracious in our stand.
Petition: Please join with us in praying for:
- Poland – The number of confirmed cases is 10,169, with 426 deaths of those with Covid-19.
There has been a lockdown in Poland, but on the 20th of April, the restriction on religious gatherings was lifted from a maximum of 6 to 50. The peak seems to have passed.
- Queensland – now has 1,024 cases (up 25 from a week ago) with 6 deaths (up 0).
Queensland has had no new cases in three of the last four days.
Australia has a whole has gone up to 6,654 (up only 7 in a day!).
There have been 74 deaths (up 0). 4,761 people have recovered (up 470!).
162 are in hospital (47 in ICU).
- Pray for the thousands of scientists working on at least 80 different vaccines.
May one of them work soon.
- Family worship. Pray that the old practice of families reading and praying together in a regular act of worship would be reinvigorated.
- That each of us would take the opportunity to reflect on our priorities; just as much of society and even church has to re-organise, may we take the opportunity to do so.
A Prayer of Repentance:
Lord Jesus, You went to the Cross without complaining.
You did not argue, but went like a lamb to the slaughter.
We confess how unlike You we are. We complain. We argue.
We also confess that we too often compromise rather than stand for the truth.
Forgive us and help us to hold firmly and graciously to Your Word, for Your glory. Amen.
A Prayer of Thanksgiving:
Lord Jesus Christ – we praise You that at this time so many Christians and churches are shining like stars as they hold out Your Word in the midst of this crisis. Thank You for Your Spirit Who gives life, and Your Word that sustains. Feed us and enliven us… in Your name. Amen.