6 The LORD will write in the register of the peoples:
“This one was born in Zion.”
7 As they make music they will sing,
“All my fountains are in you.”
~ Psalm 87
Psalm 87 appears to be a song about places that are strange to us — Philistia, Tyre and Cush.
But it is simply a song telling us that God is building a new city — bringing people in by new birth and writing their names in His book. Therefore, we can sing — as we remember that all our fountains are in Him. Everything comes from Him.
“Life with God is not immunity from difficulties, but peace in difficulties.”
~ C S Lewis, Mere Christianity
Petition: Please join with us in praying for:
1. The World — The number of confirmed cases is 102,922,990 (up 2,970,976 from last week — a significant drop). The number of deaths of people with Covid-19 is 2,226,935 (up 97,801 — a slight decrease). Mexico is seeing a significant increase and has a high death rate. The US shows no sign of abating. Germany is considering shutting its borders.
2. Australia — There have been 28,811 cases in total (up 45 compared with 58 the week before, with 0 being community transmission — 0 last week).
|State||Total Cases||Weekly Change TW/LW||Total Deaths||Change in Deaths TW/LW|
|NSW||5,104||+ 17 (21)||54||0|
|TAS||234||+ 0 (0)||13||0|
There are 14 people in hospital (-18), with 0 in intensive care (+0).
238,459 tests have been carried out in the past week, with 0.2% positive.
There are 66 active cases (-69). One case in Perth from a quarantine guard has resulted in the Premier locking down the city for the next five days. Pray for those who will be affected by loss of income, schooling and work.
3. Vaccine and Cures — Over 97.3 million vaccines doses have been administered worldwide (up from 65 million last week). Over 4.5 million are now being administered each day.
4. Church — Some churches in Scotland (and other countries) are pushing back against government closures of churches. Pray for balance and wisdom for all involved.
5. Personal and Family — Pray for those affected by the sadness and evil of domestic violence.
A Prayer of Repentance:
O Lord, we confess again our self-obsession.
When we talk, it is about ourselves.
When we ask, it is for ourselves.
When we work — it is for our own glory.
Teach us to remember that real JOY is to be found by putting Jesus first, then others, then ourselves.
In His name, Amen.
Psalm 87 inspired John Newton to write one of his great hymns — Glorious Things of Thee are Spoken. Here is a lovely contemporary version (suitable for your Zoom services) from New Scottish Hymns.
A Prayer of Thanksgiving:
The LORD loves the gates of Zion more than all the other dwellings of Jacob.
Glorious things are said of you, city of God: —
Lord, we bless You that Your city will grow and prosper.
And that we are part of it… Build Your church, Lord… Amen.