“Teach us to number our days, that we may gain a heart of wisdom.”
~ Psalm 90
One of the strange things about Covid19 is that it seems to have awakened many of our fellow citizens to the fact that we are mortal. When you get death numbers on the news every day, it’s hard not to notice! Of course, the Christian should be aware of this anyway. This Psalm tells us that God was here long before Uluru! With God, a thousand years is like a day. As for us, we get 70 or 80 years on average — it’s like the grass. Even worse, they seemed to be filled with trouble and sorrow. It’s so wearying. Is there no answer? Yes — we are to be satisfied with God’s unfailing love. That fills our days with joy… We look to the Eternal One to give us joy and satisfaction in this life — and eternal life!
“We learn on the one hand, that we cannot trust ourselves even in our best moments, and, on the other, that we need not despair even in our worst, for our failures are forgiven.”
~ CS Lewis, Mere Christianity
Petition: Please join with us in praying for:
1. The World — The number of confirmed cases is 111,329,853 (up 2,547,246 from last week — another 10% decrease). The number of deaths of people with Covid19 is 2,465,502 (up 66,636 — a 25% decrease). The number of people with Covid19 in the US is now on the decline — not just because of the vaccine, but because some experts reckon that there is already a degree of herd immunity, with up to 50% of people possibly having already been infected.
2. Australia — There have been 28,926 cases in total (up 28 compared with 48 the week before, with 6 being community transmission — 14 last week). All of the community transmission cases are in Victoria.
|State||Total Cases||Weekly Change TW/LW||Total Deaths||Change in Deaths TW/LW|
|NSW||5,149||+ 11 (18)||54||0|
|TAS||234||+ 0 (0)||13||0|
There are 10 people in hospital (-4), with 1 in intensive care (+1).
414,899 tests have been carried out in the past week, with 0.2% positive. There are 39 active cases (-2).
3. Vaccine and Cures –The first people have now been vaccinated in Australia — including the Prime Minister, Scott Morrison. There is growing evidence from Israel that the vaccines do stop the spread of Covid-19 as well as protecting the recipients.
4. Church — Remember the important role of Christian media at this time. Pray that content providers, producers, journalists and artists would all be able to communicate the hope and glory of Christ.
5. Personal and Family — Some families are experiencing considerable tensions as underlying issues come to the surface — pray that the Lord would work peace and harmony in every home.
A Prayer of Repentance:
Lord, we are consumed by Your anger and terrified by Your indignation.
You have set our iniquities before You, our secret sins in the light of your presence. (Ps 90:7-8)
Forgive our secret sins, see if there is any sinful way within us, and lead us in Your everlasting light. Amen.
Song: There are probably not a lot of churches that use bagpipes in worship… but here is a great example in Steph MacLeod’s version of Jesus Paid it All — beautiful music and beautiful Scottish scenery!
A Prayer of Thanksgiving:
Make us glad for as many days as You have afflicted us,
for as many years as we have seen trouble.
May Your deeds be shown to Your servants, Your splendour to their children.
May the favour of the Lord our God rest on us;
establish the work of our hands for us — yes, establish the work of our hands. Amen.
~ Psalm 90:15-17